This is an easy homemade southern cornbread recipe. I think my mom would have really liked it! It's vegan and plant based for a healthy southern cornbread recipe! Goes well with a pot of navy beans or soup of any kind or any other kind of southern down-home cooking!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 6 tablespoons homemade butter we use 3 tablespoons of applesauce.
- 1 cup yellow corn meal or we have ground grits into corn meal
- 1/2 cup Einkorn flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder we used ½ t of Arrowroot and ½ t of cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk use 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of a nut milk
- 1 egg slightly beaten - we used 1 tablespoons flax seed and 3 tablespoons of water
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
Pour oil in cast iron skillet or 9x9 baking dish or use cooking spray.
Combine corn meal, flour, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine “buttermilk”, applesauce, and egg substitute. Stir.
Pour liquid mixture into cornmeal mixture. Stir to combine only.
Pour mixture into baking dish/iron skillet and place in oven.
Bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the cornbread is golden brown.
Remove from oven and turn baking dish upside down on a plate and let cool to remove.