Homemade Black Bean Burger
This homemade Black Bean Burger Recipe has plenty of vegetables and flavor, it’s very quick and easy to make. All you need is 15 minutes and a food processor! It’s WFPB, Vegan and Gluten Free!
Other than our love for finding and eating healthy food, which is mostly WFPB and Vegan, eating meatless burgers is part of our quest of healthy living.
We drain the black bean but don’t rinse them. I know there’s controversy here whether to rinse or not but we just choose to have the extra flavor and nutrients. We just want to have a little bit of that natural bean juice included. I love the taste of perfectly seasoned beans as I had when growing up, but in this homemade burger it is so, so good!
Here’s something to make note of and that’s the size of the patty: These homemade black bean burgers are different from regular beef burgers, they don’t shrink at all when they cook. So make them the size you want your burger to be! And they are filling!
Have you ever had a homemade Black Bean Burger? Because you really need to. They’re simply amazing and delicious! Thanks to Trevor and Jennifer at the yummy team for this delicious recipe. We made some slight changes!
Homemade Black Bean Burger Ingredients
- Chia seeds (adding water to chia seeds replaces the need for eggs-1 tablespoon chia seeds plus 3 tablespoons of water = 1 egg)
- Water (for additional flavor make it Bragg’s Liquid Aminos and a few dashes of liquid smoke)
- Green bell pepper (any color will do, we like red)
- Red onion
- Chili powder
- Black beans
- Old fashioned oats (these can be gluten free, if you follow a gluten free diet)
Homemade Black Bean Burger
- 1 15 oz. Black Beans
- ¾ cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 tbsp Ground flax/chia Use 1 tbsp of ground flax/chia mix with 3 tbsp water (we grind flax & chia seeds together)
- ½ Bell Pepper
- ½ Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- ½ tsp Amla powder (an Indian spice)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- In a small bowl combine ground flax/chia and water set aside
- In a food processor, place pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, paprika and salt
- Pulse until the veggies have been finely chopped.
- Add in flax/chia "egg", black beans, and oats then pulse again until everything has been well combined.
- Chill mixture for an hour in the fridge (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or use parchment paper
- using a ½ cup measure, divide into 4 patties equally and shape with hands.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes, then flip an additional 10 minutes.
- Top with homemade guacamole and you've got yourself a super hearty and healthy WFPB, Vegan Black Bean Burger.
- Serve on your favorite bun and enjoy1